Biosafety Level 1 Course for Biological Safety Officers (ISTR accredited)
Public Health England's Novel and Dangerous Pathogen training group has been accredited by the ISTR to deliver all the modules of the Biosafety Level 1 training course. This course has been designed by the ISTR to provide entry level training for Biological safety officers in a broad range of subjects listed below.
The course has been designed to fully meet the criteria in an interesting and engaging way with a mixture of practicals, discussion, design, scenarios as well as presentations. The delegates meet experts in the field in both practical and lecture settings and time is scheduled for debates into best practice in Containment Laboratories.
Practical work undertaken on this course simulates working at CL2 and 3 in genuine CL2 and 3 laboratories using Hazard Group 1 agents or non-toxic liquids and powders.
The course content includes:
- Roles and Responsibilities
- Waste disposal and Transport of hazardous materials
- Hazards and risks
- Genetic modification
- Plant and facilities design
- Laboratory management
- Policy/manual development
- Auditing and inspection
- Influencing skills
- Incident and emergency procedures
- Occupational health, health surveillance, immunisations
- Learning and development
- Fit for purpose
- Use of centrifuges
- Risk assessment
- Code of practice/Lab design
- Transport of biological material
- Testing and use of Microbiological safety cabinets
- Audit and Inspection
- Accident scenarios
- Presentations by delegates
22 – 26 April 2013
14 – 18 October 2013
18 – 22 June 2012:
- The breadth of knowledge and experience available was great – particularly brining in other HPA staff in response to specific questions
- The whole module was of great benefit to developing my new career and it is great having the contact details of where to turn for help
- Lovely presenters, can’t fault the course and will recommend to others
- The demonstrations of equipment and the scenarios were helpful, as were the written reflective studies
15 – 19 October 2012:
- The level of detail given has been excellent and the quality and knowledge imparted has been first class
- The spread of topics was great and made me consider what I need to learn and find out when I return to my institute
- The practical sessions were extremely useful, especially the accident scenarios and laboratory inspection
- I will be recommending that others come on the course too!
Type of event
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further information.
PHE Staff: Yes
Non-PHE Staff: Yes
Some courses and training events can be arranged for non-PHE staff by separate arrangement.
Please contact the appropriate course organiser or the Academy email@example.com (opens new window) for further information.
Last reviewed: 30 April 2013