Skip to main content
hpa logo
Topics A-Z:
Search the site:

Carbon monoxide incidents

Carbon monoxide detector

Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless and tasteless gas produced by the burning of fossil fuels and wood in insufficient oxygen. Sources of carbon monoxide include faulty or badly ventilated appliances like gas boilers or wood-burning ovens. Symptoms can be mild to severe, depending on how much a person is exposed to, which means some poisoning may go undetected.

Information for the public

Guidance for members of the public who may want to know more about carbon monoxide and dangers in the home.

Information for professionals

Background information and response guidelines for professionals responding to incidents involving carbon monoxide.