Key population characteristics of Southampton City
|| England average
| Population size
| Percentage of the population living in urban areas
| Life expectancy at birth 2006/08, Male
|| 78 years
|| 78 years
| Life expectancy at birth 2006/08, Female
|| 82 years
|| 82 years
| Level of deprivation
Based on key characteristics such as demographic structure, employment and industry sector, the PCT areas most similar to yours are: Bristol, Portsmouth City, Leeds and Plymouth.
- The uptake of the first dose of the MMR vaccine by two years of age in Southampton was higher than the national average in 2008/09 but uptake needs to be improved further still to reach the World Health Organization's target of 95% uptake and keep the rate of measles cases low. To find out more about the vaccine please visit: www.immunisation.nhs.uk [external link].
- Uptake of the seasonal flu vaccine in at risk groups in Southampton was among the highest in the country in 2008/09. This vaccine is offered to help prevent infection in those people who are at greater risk of complications. To find out more about the vaccine please visit: www.immunisation.nhs.uk [external link].
- Southampton had the 11th highest rate of hospital admissions due to asthma in the country in 2007. Asthma has various triggers such as air pollution, colds, mould and dust among others. To learn more about how to manage asthma please visit: http://www.asthma.org.uk/ [external link].
- Southampton had the eighth highest rate of malignant melanoma (skin cancer) in all ages and the seventh highest rate in under 75 year olds for 2004/06. This may be in part due to the higher natural exposure to sunlight on the south coast. For more information on skin cancer and UV exposure please visit: http://www.hpa.org.uk/Topics/Radiation/UnderstandingRadiation/AtAGlance/Flash_Sunsense/.
To look at the information in detail please click on one of the links below
There are two type of profiles you can use: the area profile and the map profile.
- The map profile displays just one indicator at a time but for all areas so you can see how your area compares to another.
Primary Care Trust - single map
Local Authority - single map
Maternity Unit Map
Maternity Unit - single map
- The area profile shows you the values and relative ranking for all indicators in one particular area. This allows you to identify in which categories your area is higher or lower than the national average.
Primary Care Trust - area profile
Local Authority - area profile
To see which indicators are available at which level, please look at our Indicator List.
If you would like help using the profiles please read our user guide, FAQs or watch our video demo.
Population: ONS mid 2008 PCT population estimates
Area classification: ONS 2001 area classification
Life expectancy: ONS life expectancy at birth 2006-08
Deprivation: Index of multiple deprivation 2007
Similar PCTs: ONS 2001 area classification: corresponding health areas