Key population characteristics of Birmingham East and North
|| Birmingham East and North
|| England average
| Population size
| Percentage of the population living in urban areas
| Life expectancy at birth 2006/08, Male
|| 76 years
|| 78 years
| Life expectancy at birth 2006/08, Female
|| 81 years
|| 82 years
| Level of deprivation
|| very high
Based on key characteristics such as demographic structure, employment and industry sector, the PCT areas most similar to yours are: Sandwell, Wolverhampton City, Bradford and Airedale and Walsall Teaching.
- Birmingham East and North had the third lowest uptake of all three doses of the Human Papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine by 12 - 13 year old girls in the country in 2008/09. This vaccine is offered to reduce the risk of acquiring the virus, which can cause cervical cancer. To find out more about the vaccine please visit: www.immunisation.nhs.uk [external link].
- Birmingham East and North was among the highest areas in the country for the rate of hospital admissions due to asthma in 2007. Asthma has various triggers such as air pollution, colds, mould and dust among others. To learn more about how to manage asthma please visit: http://www.asthma.org.uk/ [external link].
- The rate of tuberculosis diagnoses in Birmingham East and North is among the highest in the country for 2004/06. This may be a reflection of the local population, which may have a high percentage of persons in at risk groups. For more information on the symptoms, causes and treatment of TB please visit: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Tuberculosis/Pages/Introduction.aspx [external link].
To look at the information in detail please click on one of the links below
There are two type of profiles you can use: the area profile and the map profile.
- The map profile displays just one indicator at a time but for all areas so you can see how your area compares to another.
Primary Care Trust - single map
Local Authority - single map
Maternity Unit Map
Maternity Unit - single map
- The area profile shows you the values and relative ranking for all indicators in one particular area. This allows you to identify in which categories your area is higher or lower than the national average.
Primary Care Trust - area profile
Local Authority - area profile
To see which indicators are available at which level, please look at our Indicator List.
If you would like help using the profiles please read our user guide, FAQs or watch our video demo.
Population: ONS mid 2008 PCT population estimates
Area classification: ONS 2001 area classification
Life expectancy: ONS life expectancy at birth 2006-08
Deprivation: Index of multiple deprivation 2007
Similar PCTs: ONS 2001 area classification: corresponding health areas